Friday, May 15, 2009

Saturday, 5/16/09 - "ONE STRANGE DAY"

"ONE STRANGE DAY"

From the moment I opened my eyes this morning, it was one very strange day and turned out very differently than I had planned. I awoke with one ear plugged up and unable to hear. I tried several home remedies that sometimes help open my ear. They didn't work. I had to make an appointment for later in the day.

As I was trying to reach a doctor to make an appointment, a sponsee called wanting to stop by my home right away - in trouble. Several minutes later she was here. This lovely lovely girl has, thank God, learned that an alcoholic cannot keep a secret - it will get her drunk. So, we talked, reaffirmed together that alcohol is cunning, baffling, and powerful, and the will alone is no match for it. God is the only remedy.


Then off to look for a new car.

After that, it was an hour and a half waiting for the doctor and being treated. I can now hear perfectly and don't feel like there is an apple in my ear.

Five o'clock arrived and I was at a benefit function for a young woman who has the same history with cancer as Farrah Fawcett. I am writing this blog as the special about Farrah is airing on T.V.

I met Liz, age 45, towards the end of her radiation treatments for anal cancer. She was then declared cancer free, but within six months was diagnosed with liver cancer. The benefit at a local Mexican restaurant was to help her with medical expenses and for her very young son in the future.

An Al-Anon sponsee is this girl's very good friend and is the person who introduced me to her. I have put my hands on Liz once about a year ago. I feel a very strong spiritual attachment to her. I have no idea what God's purpose is, but I'm here and available.


I feel fulfilled this evening. I feel blessed. I look forward to sleep.


Prayer Girl


(Photo credit: Splash in the Sky by Vandana Rajagopalan)

6 comments:

clean and crazy said...

i had to watch Farrah's story. it is a very real and beautiful story, here is this woman completely at the end of her life, and the whole world is focused on her death, and she is focused on life. i really needed that today.

Anonymous said...

How wonderful to be here and available for any God-given purpose.

Love to you Anna

Mary LA

Syd said...

It sounds like you were where you were meant to be. Blessings to you.

Jess Mistress of Mischief said...

I remember my grandma when I see stories like Farrah's...like Randy Pausches (another cancer non-victim)....

I realize that God allows the serenity of sharing life in the face of certain human-death.... of not worrying away the last days, but instead celebrating them...

I hope I continue to work toward THAT end! :)

Thanks for this!

steveroni said...

Strange Day! Yeah...what day of miracles does not have it's strangness--but yesterday was packed!

Unknown said...

It sounds like a lot of random elements came to converge at once, but I am glad that you have managed to get your ears open...that is painful...and thank you for the reminder of how great life is!

G