Monday, January 12, 2009

Tuesday, 1/13/09 - NEEDED: COOPERATION, NOT HELP


"NEEDED: COOPERATION,
NOT HELP"

(God doesn't need my help, but He does want my cooperation)

Nothing is more thrilling, exhilarating, or motivating than communication with God. I'm not talking about verbal, sitting down over a cup of coffee kind of speaking, but the kind where events transpire one after another and lead to a specific outcome that "seems" directed by God.

In these moments, there is sometimes a sense of being compelled to a certain action or goal or just saying something without thinking first. This sense I attribute to the pushing of my Higher Power, God. These moments have occurred periodically throughout my life. I have not always known these events were of God, but today I do know.

I have shared one such experience in a past blog and recently described the "healing touch". A few other instances of these spiritual moments follow.

Gospodi Pomiluj talks about "Centering Prayer" (Tuesday 1/6/09). She speaks of a word coming to her that she uses to stay focused. When I was in my 20s a number came to me. I was working in a research hospital and one day a number repeated itself three times in a short period of time during a morning and afternoon. The cost of an item I had to buy at the hospital supply store was $1.41. Later in the cafeteria, the cost of what I purchased to eat was $1.41. I noticed this repetition for some reason. I went to the office and mentioned this coincidence to the secretary. I then asked her to order something for me that had to come from outside the hospital. As I left the office, she called me back to tell me the price of what I wanted her to order was $1.41 per unit. WOW! It hit me in a very strong way. I "knew" it was a number intended for me. At the time, I didn't know how, from whom, or why that number came. Over all the intervening years whenever I see this number (and sometimes it is quite often) I say,
"Hello, God".

At age 35, I found myself again connected in a special way with something bigger than myself. At that time I did not understand what was happening, but today I believe it was God.
I was working in a nursing home and had been there two years. There was a dreaded State inspection occurring. This was an event that involved great scrutiny of all records, procedures, documentation, every i and t needing to be dotted and crossed. There was always a high level of anxiety at these times and worry that a staff person would be "called-out" over some infraction of the rules or imperfection.

I was working in an activities and social services position at the time. Late morning of the survey day I was in the small lunchroom alone with a cup of coffee. The assistant Director of Nursing (DON), a large woman who I knew only as a fellow staffer, not personally, walked in. She was extremely upset and she told me the inspectors had found problems with the restraint records which were her responsibility. (Anytime it is necessary to restrict a patient's movement it is a very serious action requiring detailed documentation.) She was worried that she would be in terrible trouble with her bosses.

When she finished speaking, I found myself weaving a story for her. I did not think this out in advance. I just started talking.

I asked her to see herself in a room around a large conference table. I asked her to think about how she would feel if she was seated around that table with all the people involved in the survey - her bosses, peers and reviewers and she was being praised in front of them. She said it would feel great, but it wasn't happening.

Several hours later I was paged to the phone over the intercom. When I got to the phone, the Assistant DON said to me, "Are you a witch or something?". I was shocked. I said, "Of course not." I asked why she asked me that. She told me at the survey exit interview, the reviewers praised her in front of everyone for the safety plans she had written. Very strange happening. I never forgot this incident.

These episodes produce such a feeling of euphoria that if they didn't result strictly in helping others, I would flee from them as I would an alcohol or drug "high". But they aren't caused by substances - they are from God.

God bless all you bloggers.

9 comments:

Kathy Lynne said...

Whoa! and thanks for the shout out.

steveroni said...

Well Anna, I did not know you as a designated 'witch', but I have room in my life for two of them (Atiyanna)
So often we write about a similar topic, yes?

Maybe we were discussing 'God' yesterday? Who am I kidding, we talk about God EVERY day. Maybe that is a missing link in some of the homes we read about...gonna think about that!
141, Babe...all the way!

Molls said...

Thanks for a very thought provoking post PG.

J-Online said...

Wow. Thanks for sharing this. I have chills. What wonderful experiences.

Jess Mistress of Mischief said...

I found a song that does that for me too... it showed up when I was 13 and I didn't realize how very important that connection would be until I took the 3rd step and got the living connection to God I didn't know was possible. My sponsor still prays for the power to heal, he wants to be able to do what you do, I have to tell you, that he already has it, he just doesn't know it, because he carried the message to me in a way that was undeniable healing!

I'm going to a healing seminar this weekend, Bonnie and Mahesh Chavda, this interests me and so I explore more...

You are a blessing to me every day, thank you!

Syd said...

There are so many examples of God's intervention in my life. Thanks for sharing this.

Patricia Marie said...

Wow, This is amazing.

Zanejabbers said...

I love these God Shots.

Unknown said...

What a wonderful post, you know I've had these instances and they are just miracles. I thank you for reminding me of the fact that it is our cooperation...

BTW great picture.