Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Wednesday, 3/4/09 - "T"

'T'


You never know what a day will bring. Yesterday began with an Alanon meeting at 10:45 a.m. I always have my cell phone on vibrate or turned off when in meetings, but for the first time I can remember, the phone was on ring tone and went off during the meeting. It turned out it was Steveroni calling to let me know that a girl (T) who had gotten my number from a meeting list was in trouble and needed help.

I went straight from the Alanon meeting to meet T at a noon AA meeting. She was desperate to stay sober. Her last drink had been at 4 a.m. that morning. Her body was set on low shake. As God would have it, the meeting ended up being geared to the newcomer and how to stay sober, how to not take that first drink. When I came to AA, the only way I was able to go my first whole day without a drink was to follow the directions given by a woman I met at my first meeting. This lady told me to call her every single time I thought about a drink. Since I was 'always' thinking of drinking then, I ended up phoning her 'all' day - at her home, at her work - I must have called her at least 25 times. Miracle of miracles, I didn't drink that day or night.

T and I talked for a while after the meeting and parted with an instruction that she call me in the evening or sooner if she thought about taking a drink. Around 6:30 T called and said she was thinking about a drink. She was at home where another member of the household was drinking. She was isolated in her bedroom to be away from the sight and sound of the drinking (a bad place to be). I told her to get to a meeting and call me when she got back.

T did exactly that and called me when she returned.
She told me that as soon as she got into the meeting, she felt better. Another miracle? Most of us have experienced just this. I told her to read "The Doctor's Opinion" in her Big Book. She said she had read it earlier, was relieved to understand a little better what her condition was, and was going to start on the first 164 pages. I told her to first reread "The Doctor's Opinion" and to do so daily. I still read it, still find deeper meanings, still love it.

She was directed to call me in the morning or sooner if she was thinking of drinking. I headed off to bed with prayers for T in my heart.

Prayer is a pretty powerful potion
when persistently and patiently practiced.

(I believe the whisper-soft sounds of the letter 'P'
are like a melody floating up to God.)

Prayer Girl
(Fellow bloggers - please pray for T)

2 comments:

Jess Mistress of Mischief said...

Prayers going up for T, please pray for K too who is having trouble once again with staying away from the drink as she laments the recent death of her husband. She spent the afternoon yesterday going through old photos (not the best idea for someone who is a prey to misery and relapse, but she seems to be unable to bring to mind with sufficient force the past results of those kind of emotional forays into her grief)

I just hope she gets to the God in the program before she gets to God by the bottle.

Syd said...

I'm glad that you were there. Great thoughts on Twelfth Step work. I hope T continues to follow your wise guidance as you share your E,S, and H.