Saturday, August 1, 2009

Monday 8/3/09 - "COUNTING"

"COUNTING"

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." - Albert Einstein

Not everything that counts can be counted

I cannot count the number of prayers that pass through my mind and heart in so many split seconds of my day as someone appears in my thoughts or I am told about someone's difficulties.

I cannot count the number of prayers that have been and are being said for me and my loved ones.

The capacity for love in the depths of the heart can not be captured in a measurement - cannot be counted.

The ripples in the sea of recovery cannot be counted. When a person finds recovery, that person's recovery affects many people--parents, spouses, children, friends, work associates. Sometimes that recovery attracts others to the same way of life and in turn affects parents, spouses, children, etc.

Not everything that can be counted counts

I have a habit like OCD (obsessive-compulsive disorder) of counting the number of people in a room. I almost always count the number of people in an AA meeting including large speaker meetings. I know, however, that the number doesn't count. Whether there are 50, 20, or 2 people present, an AA meeting is happening and God is "at work".

I can count the numbers of dollars I have in checking, savings, retirement accounts, wherever, but do all those dollars count if my life is filled with dissatisfaction, remorse, pain, anger, resentment? NO! Those dollars won't count at all in relieving a life lived in negativity.

I "COUNT" MYSELF A VERY LUCKY LADY
TO HAVE FOUND ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS
AND AL-ANON AND THE WONDERFUL
WAY OF LIFE THESE PROGRAMS HAVE GIVEN ME


Prayer Girl

10 comments:

Mike Golch said...

Prayer Girl,to that I can only say AMEN!

TAAAF said...

I've always loved that quotation. Thanks for a great and thoughtful post on the subject.

Lou said...

I only check my monetary accounts once or twice a month.
Good points you made here.

Anonymous :) said...

Lovely post. God worked all things together in your life for good. People living around a person with addictions talk about how that one person's addictions impacts so many lives. This post is a reminder how one person praying can truly touch the lives of many.

Shadow said...

i count a lot too... mostly out of a need to stay 'busy'... i'm trying to stop that though...

Gin said...

I count myself very fortunate to be a part of your beautiful life. Wonderful post PG. I always love the way you put them together.

Andrew said...

I "count" you as one of those who matter a great deal.

Jess Mistress of Mischief said...

I have been diagnosed as "borderline OCD" which manifests in counting random things, ceiling tiles..steps..people in a room...etc...

And now I count miracles... and I can't keep track!

Kay said...

You count, I count, we all count....I can just picture sitting in a meeting with only 2, thinking to self, one, two....one....two....one, two, one, two...haha have a happy day!

Tall Kay said...

Great quote and beautiful analogy. Now it makes sense! You count in my life too. Thank you PG