Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Tuesday 8/18/09 - "NEW FREEDOM & HAPPINESS"




















"NEW FREEDOM & HAPPINESS"

"WE ARE GOING TO KNOW A NEW FREEDOM
AND A NEW HAPPINESS."
(Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 83)

I have found that new freedom and new happiness that is promised in the 9th step. I don't know exactly when any of the promises began coming true for me, but I know that they did.


My freedom and happiness have been growing, changing, and transforming me for many years. The more I am free in my mind, body, and spirit - the happier I am. The more I practice being satisfied and happy, the freer I am.

Sounds to me like I think they are directly proportional to each other. I have never thought about this till just this moment, but freedom and happiness seem linked in the same promise for a reason. As one is manifested in a life, the other is as well.

Some freedom came my way very early in sobriety when I realized I had been freed from the bondage to alcohol. When I finally crashed to the bottom, surrendered, and asked God to help me - which He did - including the lifting of my obsession to drink, I found I was no longer a slave to alcohol. That is real freedom. Was I happy? Maybe at that time happy would have been too foreign an emotion for me to feel, but I certainly felt tremendous relief and a sense of hope. I had not felt either of those emotions for a long time.

As the years have passed, my experience of freedom and happiness has grown exponentially. I found the freedom to live life on life's terms, the freedom to take actions and make choices that are in the best interest of my sobriety. I have grown to love myself and have so much of that love that there is plenty to give away, to use to help others. I am free from guilt and shame, my constant companion for so much of my life prior to finding Alcoholics Anonymous. What joy that brings.

My desire for freedom and happiness has grown as well. Today I believe I am of value, I am worth all the good things that come my way. I believe that God does want me to be "happy, joyous, and free". I am free to become the person God intended me to be. I am free to do God's will. The more I do God's will, the happier I am.

Today, right now, I plan to go out into this day with the knowledge of my God-given freedom and happiness and spread it around as much as possible.

Here, blogger friends, have some freedom and happiness,
Prayer Girl

11 comments:

Gin said...

Thank you for sharing! I need it right now! :-)

steveroni said...

Flowers and Flutter-bys...go together like, well...the tire and the road?

clean and crazy said...

I'm with Gin ready and willing to accept this happiness and freedom.

Unknown said...

We all need freedom and happiness and I have found out lately that I am the only one stopping myself from it...and am so glad that the program of AA exists and I can experience it...thank you PG for reminding me yet again the elegant and amazing spirit you are.

G

Kay said...

Everyone could/can learn from these wise words, the world is how you make it afterall

Wait. What? said...

What a wonderful gift for this Tuesday!

Just Be Real said...

So glad that your desire for these two has grown!! This post was very encouraging to me PG, thank you. Blessings!

wolfie185 said...

Thanks for sharing your experience, strength and HOPE with us. Awesome words to start the day by.

Syd said...

I love those promises.

Nikki (Sarah) said...

Ilove this post. It gives such hope that there is freedom. You are really special. You deserve the best. Sarah

Tall Kay said...

Awww. I just love the promises. We always want more of this good stuff! Sobriety brings sooo much freedom!