Saturday, February 7, 2009

Sunday, 2/8/09 - "THE OLD DAYS"

"THE OLD DAYS"


I took a little trip down memory lane today at my noon women's meeting.

During the meeting, someone shared "When God closes a door, He opens a window." I remember hearing this years ago as "When God closes one door, He always opens another." Then someone else shared in the same vein, "When God closes a door, He opens a window, but it sure is Hell in the hallway."

My thought was, "When God closes a door, He opens a Universe."

There were more than a few long-timers in the room today who shared a lot of the simple and very effective thoughts I heard as a newcomer. It is always great to be reminded of the "olden days", bring those ideas forward into the present, refresh them in my own mind, and get them into the heads of the newcomer.
Some of these I still hear often enough, some rarely, and some not at all.

Here are a few of my favorites:
  • Don't drink and go to meetings.
  • If your life is unmanageable, maybe you need a new manager.
  • Newcomer: I don't understand the 1st step, What' it about? Answer: Shut up and get in the car, we're going to a meeting.
  • There are only two times you should go to a meeting 1. When you want to go to one and 2. When you don't want to go.
  • Where my mind goes, my feet will follow so watch out where your mind goes.
  • Religion is for people scared of going to Hell! Spirituality is for people who have been there!
  • The problem with life is it's so daily.
  • Everything will be O.K., will work out in the end, and if it's not O.K., then it's not at the end.
  • You can't afford the luxury of a negative thought.
  • People can't give what they don't have.
  • I am powerless over alcohol no matter who is drinking.
  • Even if your a-- is falling off, pick it up and carry it to a meeting.
  • God is the answer. What's the question?
  • I am a spiritual being having a human experience.
Prayer Girl

6 comments:

Akannie said...

Ah, PG...yes yes yes.

I miss the oldtimers who used to keep everything so basic for me.
Another one I always loved...
"Got here thru desperation
Stayed here thru inspiration"


Thanks for the reminders!

Findon said...

My labourer in the steel works used to say " As one door closes, another slams firmly in your face"
He usually said this when things were not going well on a breakdown. Black humour enabled us to deal with the everyday back then. Thanks for the post

Kathy Lynne said...

oh yes..watch where my mind goes...exactly what I'm talking about.

Syd said...

I like these. I've heard some others:
suit up and show up

Give us 90 days and if your life doesn't get better, we will gladly refund your misery.

No matter where you go...there you are.

steveroni said...

Yep, Kathy Lynne has got my favorite also. My second is (with augmentation)

If your life is unmanageable, maybe you need a new manager....like, say, a
SPONSOR??? Hmmmmm?

Zanejabbers said...

A very uplifting Sunday post. Love the picture. Longtimers conjures up the pictures of 5 old men in chairs taking up the whole damned room with their long legs and long bodies and long necks and long heads and long hair. Thanx.