Sunday, December 21, 2008

Monday 12/22 - "DIVINE ATTENTION"

"DIVINE ATTENTION"

"The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them; that's the essence of inhumanity."
-George Bernard Shaw

In my opinion, the opposite of this idea - the greatest good we can do our fellows is to pay them "divine attention" - must be what lies behind the reason why people will respond to even the smallest gestures of love, caring, sympathy, empathy, compassion, concern. A smile can light up the face of another person where none had been there before. Just a simple note with the words, "I love you" written on it can warm a heart. A call to say a simple "thank you" lifts the spirit.

There is an episode from my past that speaks to the soul sickness of indifference. When I was in high school, my best friend got married. I, in my infinite wisdom and knowledge, told her all about why she should not marry this man. She was too young. He wasn't the right guy for her, etc. etc.

She lived in a home with a step-mother who was the proverbial "wicked witch" - and she really was. My girlfriend was always on restriction and was constantly being emotionally and mentally abused by this woman. She was escaping an intolerable situation and I, her "best friend" was non-supportive, to say the least.


In the end she did marry him and DID NOT invite me, "HER BEST FRIEND", to the wedding. I burned with resentment I would not acknowledge for 25 years. That resentment took the form of erasing her from my mind as if she had never existed. TOTAL AND COMPLETE INDIFFERENCE! In retrospect, I know this did not really work. I was just kidding myself. She never was erased from my mind like I intended. She hung around in my psyche causing dis-ease, guilt and remorse for many years.

In recovery I have had to see the truth of why I was not invited. I bad mouthed her boyfriend so, of course, they didn't want me there. Duh!


25 years later I finally contacted her. I found out this man had died suddenly many years before of a heart attack caused by a congenital defect. I then learned that her teenage son died suddenly in the same manner years later. I regret my years of indifference. How inhumane. But God can right any wrong and heals relationships when we truly seek His assistance.


There needs to be "no room at the inn of indifference" in my life. Each person I come in contact with is a divine spark from the God whose flame created all of us and each deserves my attention. This is sometimes easy and sometimes difficult. I ask God for the power to carry out His will, and forgiveness when I fall short of the goal.


Love you,

Prayer Girl


Photo credit: Tressie Davis

7 comments:

Findon said...

Thank you for this PG. This is real insight. It makes me wonder how it sits, when I think of the poeple that have harmed me in some way, and I have decided to have nothing more to do with them. I wonder!!! Very insightful and thought provoking post.

Shadow said...

that's a moving story. that's why i say life's too short to hold a grudge...

Jess Mistress of Mischief said...

I have many episodes in my bag like that. People I treated badly becuase I was afraid that they were making bad choices, people I treated badly because I was afraid of what people thought of me. People I treated badly because I was afraid of ... Well fear was the controlling factor throughout my life.

There was a video that the rector of our church shared (it's not churchy, it's actually a video blog from Penn of Penn and Teller) I thought you'd appreciate what he says, I appreciated it.
http://www.stevewood.cc/culture/friday-morning-video-26/

Wait. What? said...

PG - this reminds me to finish sending out my holiday cards - even though they will arrive late - this year they will arrive.

have a great holiday PG.

Syd said...

There is someone in my life who has cut me off because my wife is an alcoholic. He and I used to be very good friends. But he won't return calls, etc. I made amends to him but he didn't accept them. I would like to call him again this Christmas to wish him the best. But know that he won't answer the phone or return the call. My sponsor thinks that I need to let this person go. I will pray on this.

Femin Susan said...

How awesome! Thanks for sharing!
Wishing you "A Merry X'Mas and A Happy New Year''

Kathy Lynne said...

Thank you....