Sunday, November 30, 2008

Monday 12/1 - MY BRAIN IS LIKE A ......

"MY BRAIN IS LIKE A ......"

Often, I've heard people say all kinds of things about the way our minds are and how they work.

My brain is like a sieve - it leaks........
We hear what we need to get and stay sober going to lots of meetings. When we don't go often enough, what we have heard leaks out.

My brain is like a steel trap.......
"Some of us have tried to hold on to our old ideas and the result was nil until we let go absolutely." (Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 58) My old ideas were locked in my brain in a trap of steel.

My brain is like a committee room.....
... a committee room in which no one is agreeing, everyone arguing. With continued sobriety, the committee quiets down and eventually one voice emerges to bring harmony and that voice is God.

My brain is like a merry-go-round....
... of alcoholism - a dizzying life - nauseating, actually! Once I jumped off the merry-go-round for good, that is when sanity and real sobriety began.

My brain is mush......
Arriving at the door of AA, my brain was pickled - it was mush. Thankfully, as I was restored to sanity, the mush became solid and eventually rational.

My brain deceives......
Alcoholism is a disease that tells me I don't have a disease. I would often rather believe a lie than admit the truth.

My brain is like a blackboard.....
Alcohol erased everything from my mind. Alcoholics Anonymous tells me what needs to be written on that blackboard - - 100 times each:
I will not drink.
I will go to meetings.
I will not gossip.
I will pay attention in meetings.

My brain is broken......
Alcohol broke our brains. God, through the program of Alcoholics Anonymous, restores them to health.

Prayer Girl


(Photo Credits due:

6 comments:

Shadow said...

yeah, my brain's been in all of those...

Lou said...

The brain is a miracle. When not abused. Great post.

Wait. What? said...

Loved this PG!

Shannon said...

My brain is like a committee room.....
... a committee room in which no one is agreeing, everyone arguing. With continued sobriety, the committee quiets down and eventually one voice emerges to bring harmony and that voice is God
-AMEN! I too am very grateful for our program of action, that helps with my broken alcoholic brain

mile191 said...

Interesting thought. i appreciate your reflection and sharing with us. my brain feels off. i keep going to cyber friend sites. thinking i will have something wonderful to day that will lift and comfort. and yet today, my brain is off. i am off to a third funeral for close family. we lost someone on thanksgiving, yes, again. i stopped here, read your post, and felt i could write, at least a thanks. i wish i had the strength to say more. after all you do for me. and your sweetie. let him know too. i just feel my brain is broken. i will be back soon, and on to more healing. for now, grieving seems to be the order of the day, and i need to go. thanks to you, to EVERYONE who is helping me. my brain....signing off for now.

mile 191 - aka hope ♥

Syd said...

My brain has always been diverse. But I see that my brain and heart need to be in alignment for me to be in recovery.